Payment details and information on rates


2018-2019 Valuation, Rate and Charge Notices

Central Goldfields Shire Council ratepayers will soon receive their 2018/2019 rate notice following the adoption of the 2018-2019 Council Budget.

More information about how your rates and valuations are calculated, what your rates are used for and how the various payment options available is provided with your rate notice. The Understanding your rate notice brochure is also available here. 

VIDEO: Municpal Association Victoria have also released a short video to explain how rate capping works and how rates are calculated. You can watch the video here. 


Chief Administrator message

Every day Council delivers more than 100 services and programs that help our residents and make Central Goldfields Shire a great place to live, work and visit.

Your rates make a significant contribution towards funding services such as libraries, maternal and child health as well as essential infrastructure such as roads, footpaths, parks, gardens, playgrounds and other community facilities.

Property rates account for 40% of Council’s annual income and help fund these important services and programs. Council also receives income from other sources such as government grants and user fees and charges.

We recognise that rates can be a significant cost for property owners so when finalising the 2018-2019 Budget we delivered a rate increase of 2.25% in line with the State Government's Fair Go Rates System rate cap.

Increases in waste charges are higher than inflation in this year's budget due to changes in global recycling markets. This has significantly increased the cost to Council for recycling resulting in increases to the Waste Management Fee and Recycling Charge.  

The 2018/19 year is a revaluation year and farm land property valuations have increased significantly more than valuations for other property types (such as resdiential and commercial properties) which will result in a redistribution of rates, with farm properties likely to receive an increase greater than 2.25% and some residential property owners likely to see a decrease in their general rates as a result.

It’s important to note that Council receives no additional revenue as a result of a revaluation. Property valuations are simply a mechanism that apportions the total rates to be raised between all properties.

This brochure is aimed at helping you better understand the need for rates, what your rates pay for, how rates are calculated and the various payment options available.

Noel Harvey

Chief Administrator
Central Goldfields Shire Council


2018/2019 Budget Highlights

The Budget includes the following highlights:


How are my rates calculated?

To meet the rate cap of 2.25% for 2018/2019 Council has set a rate in the dollar of 0.5131 cents for general rate properties.

This figure is then multiplied by the Capital Improved Value (CIV) of each property to determine how much the property owner will pay.

An example of the general rates calculation for a residential property in Maryborough with a valuation of $200,000 would be:

$200,000 x $0.00513100 = $1026.20 (excluding waste charges, the municipal charge and the Fire Services Levy) 


What are differential rates?

The Shire levies a General Rate and seven differential rates across three broad categories as shown in the table below:

Rate type

Cents in the dollar (2018/2019)

General rate (residential property) – Maryborough


General rate (residential property) – other


Vacant Land – Maryborough


Vacant Land – other


Commercial – Maryborough


Commercial – other




Farm Land



How does the property valuation process work?

Current Victorian Government legislation requires us to undertake a general property revaluation every two years (revaluations will be annual from 2019). The previous revaluation took effect on 1 July, 2016.

Additionally, a supplementary valuation may be conducted when a change to the property occurs that affects the valuation (for example, building a house of subdividing a block).


Does the Shire make more money when property values go up?

No, we do not collect extra revenue as a result of the revaluation process. The total combined rates revenue remains the same.


Who decides on the value of properties?

Valuations are carried out by professional valuers who undertake this work under contract. Properties are assessed according the Valuer-General Victoria Best Practice guidelines.

For more information visit www.propertyandlandtitles.vic.gov.au


What is Capital Improved Value?

The three valuations shown on your rates notice are Site Value (SV), Capital Improved Value (CIV) and the net Annual Value (NAV).

You have the right to object to the valuation of your property. We suggest you contact Council to discuss and try to resolve your valuation questions before seeking an objection form.


Municipal charge

The municipal charge is a flat fee of $262.65 applicable to all assessments, irrespective of the valuation or type of property. It covers part of the administrative costs of operating Council, and assists with the equitable spread of rates across all ratepayers. Single farm enterprises with multiple rate assessments are only required to pay one municipal charge.


State Government Fire Services Property Levy

It is a State Government requirement for all councils in Victoria to collect the Fire Services Levy from ratepayers on behalf of the State Government.

The revenue raised by the Levy is used to fund the Country Fire Authority.  

For more information visit www.firelevy.vic.gov.au


Waste and Recycling

The waste and recycling charges only apply to households receiving these waste collection services. The Waste Management Fee is collected from all ratepayers as a contribution to waste management costs, including rehabilitation of landfill sites. The total cost of all Council’s waste management services is fully funded by waste fees and charges.

The increase in waste and recycling charges is higher than inflation this year due to changes in global recycling markets. This has added a significant cost to recycling resulting in increases to the Waste Management Fee - $10.05 and the Recycling Charge - $34.50.

The charges for residential waste and recycling collection in 2018/2019 are:

Bin type

Annual Charge

Standard Garbage Charge – 80L urban & 140L rural 


Non-Standard Garbage Charge - 140L urban and 240L rural


Recycling Charge


Waste Management Fee



Optional Green Waste service

Central Goldfields Shire offers all residents in the urban areas of Dunolly, Talbot, Carisbrook and Maryborough an optional green waste and household organics collection service.

Residents can dispose of their green waste and organic household waste via a 240 litre bin (green lid) which is collected on the first and third Friday of the month.

The collected waste is then processed into high quality bagged compost.  As a bonus, each participant is entitled to four bags of compost free of charge per month, when available.

In previous years the service cost was invoiced separately to rates, and related to the period 1 December to 31 November. The 2018/2019 green waste collection cost is $67.10 and for current subscribers, a pro-rata charge of $39.10 will be included on the rates notice for the period 1 December 2018 to 30 June 2019.  

Future rate notices will include the full annual (1 July to 30 June) green waste collection charge.

If you wish to request this optional service please:


Waste Vouchers

Included with your rate notice are eight Central Goldfields Shire Transfer Station Waste Vouchers. The vouchers are valid for use until 30 September 2019.

For more information refer to the contact numbers on the back of the voucher sheet.


How can I pay my rate notice?

You can pay your rates online, via direct debit, in person or by phone.

Details on how to pay your rates is detailed on your rates notice.

Rates can either be paid in full (by 15 February, 2019) or by four instalments:

First instalment

30 September, 2018

Second instalment

30 November, 2018

Third instalment

28 February, 2019


Fourth instalment

31 May, 2019

Reminder notices are forwarded to ratepayers who elect to pay by instalments. Notices are forwarded at least two weeks prior to the due date.


Pensioner Concession

If you hold a Centrelink issued Pensioner Concession Card or Veteran Affairs issued Pensioner Concession Card, War Widow Gold Card or TPI Gold Card, you may be eligible to claim a $229.40 concession on your rates.

This is in addition to the State Government Rebate of $50 for the Fire Service Property Levy.

A health care card is not an eligible card to receive a concession.

For more information contact Council’s Customer Service team on 5461 0610.

Click on this link for further information regarding Pensioner concession on rates.

Financial hardship

If you think you will have difficulty paying on time, contact our Rates team as soon as possible to discuss your circumstances. Paying rates cannot be avoided however we can work with you to set up a suitable payment option.

Change of address

You must notify us of a change of address in writing. You can download this form online here: Change of Details Notification form, and return the completed and signed form either by mail, email or in person, to the Council Office.


Register to recieve your rate notices via email 

Central Goldfields Shire ratepayers can now choose to have their rate notice emailed to them with the introduction of enotices.

It’s quick and easy to register all residents need to do is click here: https://centralgoldfields.enotices.com.au/ and type in their reference number – included on their rate notice.



Ratepayers who register before 30 September, 2018 will go in the running to win $500 off their rate payment. Ratepayers already registered will be entered into the draw automatically.

Registrations received by 30 September, 2018 will be included in the prize draw. Entries will be drawn randomly. Not available to Central Goldfields Shire Council employees and family.

Winners will be notified and published in the Central Goldfields Shire Council News full page ad in The Maryborough Advertiser on Friday 5 October, 2018. No correspondence will be entered into.


Payment methods

Council provides the following payment methods:



Australia Post now provides the Central Goldfields Shire Council with the secured billpay facility to pay your rates via the Internet. To complete the payment of rate transactions, you shall require your rate notice and your debit or credit card details.


The amounts payable are shown on the bottom right hand corner of the notice. The Billpay code and reference number are located above the "How to Pay Your Account" information on the front of the rate notice next to the Billpay logo:


Billpay Code:  0711

Ref:  0602 0508 0014 0003

By phone 13 18 16 or online

Please note that your transaction will not be complete until POSTbillpay displays a payment confirmation page with a receipt number.



***** Council rate notices are produced by a third party distributor and unfortunately there has been an issue with the BILLPAY barcodes printed on our rate notices. 

This means that some barcodes may not scan when paying in person at Australia Post.

They can still be made via BILLPAY online and by phone (see above). Council understands that this printing error may cause inconvenience to some ratepayers and we apologise.*****

In person: 

- Council office, 22 Nolan Street, Maryborough (cash, cheque or EFTPOS)

- Cashier Hours: 8.45 am to 4.00 pm

- Any post office within Australia


By mail

Your cheque or money order should be made payable to "Central Goldfields Shire Council" and crossed "Not Negotiable". If you require a receipt you should send your rate notice intact with your payment. If you don't require a receipt, please detach the bottom section of your notice and post your payment.

Payments should be mailed to:

Central Goldfields Shire Council

PO Box 194

Maryborough VIC 3465


Direct Debit

With direct debit you can nominate a payment amount - fortnightly, quarterly or annually - which will be deducted from your bank account to pay your Council rates and charges.  Please note that Council’s minimum payment amount is $20.00. To apply, simply complete the Direct Debit Request form, which includes the terms and conditions.  Once completed simply return the form either by mail, email or in person at the Council offices.

If you wish to change, cancel or suspend your Direct Debit please complete this form and return to the Council offices.


BPay/BPay View

You can save time by using your telephone or internet banking to pay your rates. You can make your payment from your savings, cheque or credit card account. Please contact your participating financial institution for information on how to use B-PAY. Council includes the "biller" code and reference number on rate and instalment notices.



Centrepay is a direct bill paying service available to customers who receive a Centrelink payment. Council's minimum deduction amount is $20.00 per fortnight. 

Council's Centrepay Reference Number is 555-054-626-B

Visit www.centrelink.gov.au to register or to find out more.


Please note that Australia Post complies with legal and regulatory obligations regarding privacy of personal information and that all on-line transactions will be encrypted for transmissions over the Internet.


Penalty interest

All payments of rates and charges must be received by the appropriate due date. All late payments will unfortunately incur an interest penalty. Full payments will attract interest from the date the rate was declared (1st July) until the date of payment. For those ratepayers electing to use the instalment option, interest will be charged from the due date of the instalment until payment is received. The current interest rate is 10%.


Any arrears shown on your rate notice need to be paid immediately as interest continues to accrue on arrears that remain outstanding.


Difficulty in payment of rates

Council offers a special payment arrangement to deal with amounts owing if you are having problems in paying your rates. This is an arrangement where you agree to pay your rates in weekly, fortnightly or monthly amounts. The amount and timing of the payments are tailored to your individual circumstances and the amount outstanding.


Entering into an arrangement can reduce the amount of interest charged and avoid Council proceeding with recovery actions for the outstanding rates, as outlined in the debt collection policy. Print the payment arrangement form and return to Council by mail or email.




Objection to a valuation



You may object to a valuation.  The objection can be made in relation to the value of a property or on the grounds specified in the Valuation of Land Act.


An objection generally must be made within two months of the date of the rate notice.  An objection should be in the prescribed form, available from you local municipal office, or on this website.  Before seeking an objection form, try to discuss and resolve your valuation questions with the valuer.


After receiving an objection, a valuer must discuss the matter with the objector. if not satisfied with the decision, the objector may appeal to the Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) or to the Supreme Court.


If you object to a valuation you still must pay rates by the due date.  Failure to pay rates by the required date generally results in interest being imposed.

2018-2019 Valuation Objection Notice



Privacy and Disclaimer

Site Developed & Hosted by